Saturday, March 7, 2009

Learning Chinese: My Background

In a previous post I mentioned that I have been studying Chinese for eight years. That isn't quite accurate. I did have my first experience learning Chinese in a classroom setting about eight years ago, but I have not studied for eight full years, and I certainly do not have the proficiency level of someone who has.

I first studied Chinese during my sophomore year of high school, in a high school class. Why did I choose to study Chinese? The reason for that is rather simple; I was bored and needed a challenge. I had already gained (and lost) fluency in Spanish, I certainly didn't see a point in relearning a language that I knew I wouldn't use often enough to retain. At least with Chinese, I knew that even if I never used the language outside of class that it would be a new, interesting and challenging experience.

I studied Chinese during my sophomore and junior year, but stopped studying in my senior year because I needed to open my schedule to take some classes that were required for graduation. It wasn't until another year after graduation that I decided to go to college and begin studying Chinese again.

I during that period of time between my junior year of high school and first year of college, I did not learn or use any Chinese. Even the Chinese friends that I had at the time spoke Cantonese, not Mandarin, so when it came time to register for classes, I decided to enter a beginning Chinese class. At the time, I struggled with it, which showed me that I made the right decision. I studied City College of San Francisco's (CCSF) first year of Mandarin and was starting to feel good about it. However, some financial set-backs and family hardship kept me from continuing my education. I dropped out of school and it wasn't until spring of 2008 that I returned to school with the determination to study Chinese and complete my schooling with that as my major.

Again, during the period of time I did not use any Mandarin, but in the year and a half leading to my return to college, I began to pick up Cantonese from my friends. My level of vocabulary, knowledge of grammar and ability to identify and use proper intonation in Mandarin, far exceed those same skills in Cantonese. I am, however, far more comfortable speaking Cantonese as I often practice with friends, and my ability to speak with decent fluidity is greater when I speak Cantonese. Yes, I know it sounds strange, but that is truthfully my situation.

In summer 2008, I entered a competition called Hanyu Qiao (汉语桥), in which I competed in a proficiency competition against other Chinese language students around the world. As you can imagine, with my lack of experience, never having traveled to China to study abroad, or even exceeded 2 years of study in the US, I did NOT fair well. It was the most humbling experience of my life, but the most eye-opening and meaningful experience as well. I returned to the US with new acquaintances, new abilities and most importantly new goals.

My current goal is to improve my proficiency in the language, get accepted to a university in China and obtain the funding (through scholarship or grant) necessary to cover tuition.

On the way to achieving such goals, I reach out to others who share the same interest. I have started this blog to share my experiences and knowledge of learning Chinese at the basic level, in hopes that others who are just beginning to learn the language, or may be interested in learning the language, will come to my site and share their experiences as well. Within the next month, this blog will move to a new domain, onto a fully functional web page. For now, feel free to leave comments, suggestions or questions about anything as a direct comment to each post. I will respond as often as possible with a new post topic, or through email if you prefer.

That's a lot to read at one time about lil' ol' me, If you've made it this far, I appreciate and thank you for your interest. Hope to see you again.

Until next time...
-Mike Redus
睿达思

12 comments:

  1. yah mike!!!! I like the blog, it was written with a lot of heart.

    -Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,
    Hi Mike,
    As a native speaker of Cantonese, I know it's very difficult for foreigners to learn the language. In fact, even nowadays, not too many Americans can speak good Cantonese. You've done an excellent job. Keep up with the good work and I wish you a great success in getting a scholarship to a college in China.

    Best regards, Neville /NY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,
    Despite you feeling humbled, meeting you was inspiring. Learning fluent Cantonese without having formally studied is IMPRESSIVE. Recently I went to Guangzhou and HK and felt so out of the loop. Anyway, keep at it because you are already way better than you seem to realise. BTW drop me an email.

    Regards,
    Matt 阿麦
    http://chabuduo.sinosplice.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike,

    I'm studying mandarin on my own. I was wondering if you know of some textbooks that may be helpful for self learners.

    thanks!
    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are three different textbooks that I would recommend; Hanyu, Integrated Chinese, and Chinese Link 中文天地(Zhong Wen Tian Di). I like Hanyu and Integrated Chinese because both contain colloquial speech patterns and phrases from different provinces throughout China that exceed the normal standards of Mandarin. Chinese Link on the other hand, is the most well put together textbook in terms of arrangement and convenience.

    Each of these textbooks has its own series from the beginner to experienced/advanced level. Chinese Link however contains a story in each lesson that pertains to a specific cultural idiomatic expression, which I believe sets it apart from other textbooks.

    Hanyu, Integrated Chinese and Chinese Link are all worth more than what it would cost to purchase them if you study actively.

    Learning Chinese through self study is extremely difficult, I wish you success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! Do you know of any Cantonese books as well?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again Jayne,

    I'm sorry to say that I can't recommend any books for learning Cantonese. I have learned it through my friends and haven't taken a college course in Cantonese until this semester at my community college.

    If you do come across a decent textbook for Cantonese, come back to the site and tell me about it! I'd love to add another textbook to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mike,

    Other than the teach yourself,colloquial,and phrasebooks, there seems to be a lack of textbook resources for Cantonese in the market. I've come across one textbook and one reference book that's kind of useful: Cantonese Basic course by Boyle and Read and Write Chinese by Choy. The basic course provides the grammar structures while the reference book provides the listing of 3210 characters in both Cantonese and Mandarin romanizations. I'm teaching myself how to read with the canto in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 加油!!! I learned a lot of Chinese through music, I found that it helped me a lot with identifying certain words. I just got back to youtubing new songs (and that's how I came about your youtube page). I have to say, it is hard to retain a language you don't use often. I'm in law school and all I see is English everywhere so I lost a lot of my ability to speak it fluently too. I think the best way to totally learn a language is to actually live in the place where the language is used, so it forces you to use it too. I was born in HK and when I go back, naturally, I use and learn more Chinese than I do here. My friend (who is Columbian) taught English in Japan for 3 years and now she is pretty close to fluent in Japanese!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! Mike! You're going the right way to go spend some time in China. I've been learning Chinese (mandarin and canto) for many years and I have met many westerners who share my passion for the language along the way (both in North America and China). On thing I can say about the majority of westerners fluent in the language is that they all spent at least a year in China. The longer, the better, of course.

    Also, I've ran into a lot of westerners who are fluent in spoken Chinese, but very few who are really good at writting chinese essays. If you want to add another level to your Challenge, here's another door u can take: Mastering Chinese writing.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey bro whats goin on i just left u a messege on youtube that was b4 i read your blog.I myself to are going to city college in the upcoming spring and hop to get back into chinese. took it in a college in houston didnt retain to much so time to take it again

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mike,

    It always fascinates me when people of different background learns to speak the Chinese language, it must have been so difficult for you to learn, but to see you keep at it and see how good you have become gives me hope. My family speaks Cantonese, and since I'm an ABC, it's hard for me to retain the language. I mean I do speak it and I understand most stuff, but I can't read or write it at all. I'm currently taking Mandarin at a community college to fulfill my foreign language requirement to graduate. If you have any tips on remembering Chinese characters, please let me know! That's the most difficult part for me, well, the pinyin is hard too. Haha. Good luck with everything and I hope you one day you achieve your goal of going to school in China. Good luck. (:

    Sincerely,
    Nancy
    劉雪兒

    ReplyDelete